Title screen from the Li Cheng version.
|Publisher|| Hitek (Taiwan)|
Li Cheng (China)
|Console||Game Boy Color|
|Alternate names/hacks||Special forces 2 base (Li Cheng)|
Terrifying 9/11 (Chinese: 驚爆 911) is a pirate Game Boy Color game released some time after the 9/11 attacks by Hitek in Taiwan, and was later released by Li Cheng in China under the name of 特種部隊 2 基地. The game is an unlicensed port of Metal Slug 1.
This is a decent port of Metal Slug 1 for the Neo Geo. A is used to jump and B is used to shoot. the graphics are also good even with with the limitations of the Game Boy Color. The bosses are also present in this version, but are more easy. The order of mission 4 and 5 is inverted. When a level is beaten, an exchange between George W. Bush and Osama Bin Laden takes place. In the original release the text is in English, but in Li Cheng's version the text is in Chinese.
- Original version (Hitek) : This version has the Hitek logo and English cutscenes.
- Li Cheng version: This version removes the hitek logo for a title screen photo and changes the "Terrifying 911" logo to another logo written 特種部隊 2 基地 (special forces 2 base). The cutscenes are in Chinese.
- Recently the original taiwanese version ROM was dumped, unfortunately, it only runs in the GBA emulator hhugboy. The Li Cheng version can run in all GBA emulators.
- This game was obscure for years, because of hitek's copy protection.
- This is one of few games that have some things related to the 9/11 Twin Towers incident.
- In the game data, it has a supposed unused Metal Slug logo.