|Super Fighters 99|
Super Fighters 99 title screen with Super Game Boy boarder
|Console||Game Boy Color|
|Engine||Takara's King of Fighters engine|
|Alternate names/hacks||The King of Fighters 2000, The King of Fighters 2002|
Super Fighters 99 is a unlicensed entry of the King of Fighters series, mostly based off Takara's KoF '97 Game Boy port.
A few things are unusual about this unlicensed KoF game.
First is that it is a unlicensed game that comes with a border when played on a SNES Super Game Boy. This is very uncommon with unlicensed titles.
The second thing of note is that unlike the official KoF Game Boy games, that the characters are actually set up into teams instead of having random characters from all the teams. The only ones not set to teams are Iori and Shingo, who did not have teams in KoF '97.
While many of the characters are taken from the previous official KoF ports done by Takara, several of them are new sprite sets that were designed specifically for this game and do not appear in any official GB ports. Some of them may be taken from the KoF NGP ports, but more detailed analysis would be required to verify this.
The gameplay engine is based in Takara's original engine used in their official King of Fighters ports, so the gameplay is very well done to be based on the GB hardware. All gameplay aspects including team/single options and the actual fighting engine is the same as those found in Takara's originals.
The teams included are:
- The Hero team, Kyo, Benimaru, and Goro.
- The Kyokugen team, Ryo, Robert, and Yuri.
- The Fatal Fury team, Terry, Andy, and Joe.
- The Female team, Mai, Chizuru, and King.
- The Ikari Warriors, Leona, Ralf, and Clark.
- The Psycho Soldiers team, Athena, Kensou, and Chin.
- Kim's team, Kim, Choi, and Chang.
- The Orochi team, Yashiro, Shermie, and Chris.
- The Special team, Yamazaki, Billy, and Blue Marry.
- Iori and Shingo do not have teams.